Saturday, January 18, 2014

Disappearing 4-patch Block Variation Tutorial



I had cut some squares to make a wonky star quilt, but when I started sewing the blocks together I was amazed at how much fabric was being wasted and I just didn't find it as inspiring as I had hoped it would be, so I made a few blocks and decided that was it. In the mean time I thought to myself, what can I use these blocks for? So I scoped out my Quilting Tutorials I had on my Pinterest Board and decided to make a disappearing 4-patch, I wanted to make it, but the measurements didn't fit the blocks I had, so I adjusted the block size and the cuts as I thought the center strips were too narrow. Here is the first one I made as a sample. I am very satisfied with it.

For February in the Coast to Coast Bee it is my month to have some blocks made. I thought these blocks would be quick and fun for everyone to make. So here goes, these are my directions for making this block. All seams are sewn using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.


To begin this block you choose 2 fabrics. For each block you cut 2 - 6.5inch squares from two different fabrics:


Sew two contrasting blocks together and press seams to the aqua side so the seams will lock when sewing them together:





Now, sew the top row to the bottom row, locking seams and sew them together to make one
        4-patch block


Now get your rotary cutter and ruler and measure 2 inches on each side of the center seam and cut the length of the block.




 Now turn the block a quarter turn (90 degrees), I always rotate the mat and then do the same. Cut 2 inches on both sides of the center seam. You will end up with what looks like a cut-up 9 patch.


Now you will take the center square(the 4 patch block) and give it a one-quarter turn to the left so the 4 patch is matched up with the opposite color as below:



Now take the 4 single fabric corners and swap the solid aqua for the pink pezzy fabric as displayed below.


Now  sew your rows together so your final block looks like this: 


That's all there is to it. The block ends up measuring 11.5 inches when assembled. I hope you enjoy making these blocks. Happy sewing!!

4 comments: