Saturday, June 11, 2016

Swapaholic's Retreat goodies for my Secret Sister

Yay! I can finally reveal the goodies I made for my Secret Sister at the Swapaholic's Retreat!! The retreat was held last weekend the June 2-5th at Farmington, Minnesota at the Mount Olivet Retreat and Conference Center. The center had beautifully wooded grounds, a lake, a snapping turtle laying eggs and other wild life. I have so much to share about this weekend, but will break it up into separate posts.

 I had been secretly sewing for the last few months for my Secret Sister. She ended up being this great lady named Amanda from Southern California. She was a precious, kind and fun lady.


I have a sister that lives in Huntington Beach, California and know plastic bags are shunned upon in there and I actually made my sister this same bag, it's a version of a Market Bag. I made it with Bonnie and Camille fabrics as she had expressed that was a favorite designer for her. I love this bag because it folds and snaps up so you can just stick it under your arm as you go to the store and then it unfolds into this large bag, great for doing your shopping with.  

This is when it is opened up. 



This is folded up and snapped, ready to go. 

           
This wall hanging was actually my reveal gift. She had requested either a mug rug or wall hanging she could use where she works to brighten up her work area. I thought with Spring and Summer around the corner she could use some butterflies to gaze at when she was inside working.


This little basket was made for Jan for the Kitchen basket swap. It had to have a kitchen theme and then you were to place 4 fat quarters kitchen themed. I also added some hand crocheted dish clothes I had made, some bamboo spoons, a rubber spatula and a basting brush that were purple. 


For the 1 inch Hexie swap we had to make 25 hexies, I did fussy cut some of them and then we had a pattern to make a draw string bag to put them in. 





This is a little zippy pouch I made for Michelle. I stuffed it with goodies.  She said Red and Aqua were some of her favorite colors. Who doesn't like polka dots?


She also stated she needed a thread catcher and loves Cinderberries fabrics ( I am crazy about hedgehogs myself), so I made her a thread catcher/pin cushion with walnut shells so she could use it at the retreat. 


S


I also made Michelle a pillow with B & C fabrics, I pulled all the red prominent fabrics from a charm pack and used this broken dishes pattern to make her a 20 inch pillow. A down pillow form was went with it, I just knew she had to fly and didn't need a puffed out pillow to try to travel with. 



 
We also had a hoop swap and I had a lady, Deb, that LOVES peace signs. So I drafted a paper pieced pattern and made her a rainbow Hexie peace sign, I see I didn't take a picture of it hooped and sized up, this is the rough cut. She was very happy with it and said I hit her right on. Glad she liked it. I was most nervous about this project.


Again, there is so much more to share, I had a secret sister that spoiled me too, so I will share that soon!

 Enjoy the heat wave! I'll leave with Little Debbie sleeping on my machine last night. She had never done that before! What a sweetie fur baby!























No comments:

Post a Comment